The good news is that I surpassed my goal of 125 to read in 2014. The could-be-better news is that I’m nowhere close to completing my book bucket lists. Of the Pulitzer and Top 100 20th Century novels I’ve read this year, I finished these:
- A Summons to Memphis by Peter Taylor
- The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
- March by Geraldine Brooks
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Hardly a dent. I’m reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie now but can’t guarantee a 2014 finish. Yeh, I suck, but it’s all the authors’ faults for putting out some tempting titles this year to distract me.
I could say, well in 2015 I’ll make up for it, but who am I kidding? I’ll reach for A Passage to India and something else will catch my eye. I think the best way to finish this job is to not dwell too much on it. Thread the books with others I’ve wanted to read, and before you know it I’ve bested my reading record.
I’m setting up the Here, There, Everywhere Reading Challenge for myself – to whittle down some of my bucket lists and discover new authors. I tend to read familiar names (who doesn’t?), but as an author I always hope somebody takes a chance on me. I should at least return the favor.
This is the dance card I intend to fill out for 2015. If you want to try this challenge, feel free. Comment if you do with your blog and/or Goodreads and I’ll follow along. You don’t have to pick the same books as me; might be interesting to see what everybody’s reading. Check back for progress.
Here, There, Everywhere in 2015 Reading Challenge
Five Fiction Pulitzer Winners
1. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley FINISHED 3-29-15 (review)
2. Beloved by Toni Morrison
3. One of Ours by Willa Cather
4. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
5. The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Five Modern Library Top 100 Novels
1. A Passage to India by E.M Forster
2. Deliverance by James Dickey
3. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
4. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
5. Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow
Authors/Series I’ve Had in TBR Too Long
1. A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
2. Children of Dune by Frank Herbert FINISHED 3-5-15 (review) 3. Dragonfly in Amber
by Diana Gabaldon 4. The Hotel New Hampshire
by John Irving 5. High Hearts by Rita Mae Brown FINISHED 1-24-15 (review)
Five New-To-Me Authors (To be filled out as I discover them.)
1. A Touch of Stardust by Kate Alcott FINISHED 1-4-15 (review) 2. Dogwood Hill by Sherryl Woods FINISHED 1-16-15 (review) 3. Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto FINISHED 1-17-15 (review) 4.
Silver Screen Fiend by Patton Oswalt FINISHED 1-21-15 (review) 5. Guitars and Cupcakes by Ella Grey FINISHED 1-27-15 (review)